Thursday, February 9, 2012

Weblog 3

In reflecting upon my own teaching and writing I have realized a couple of important things. The first important idea that I have learned is that I do not self reflect enough. In the Grumet article it talked about writing down events as they happen. I look at myself as a sixth year teacher and ask myself, why have I not done this? The main reason that I feel I have not do this is because no one ever told me to. As a teacher we learn a lot from the people who we work with. These people help us to understand what make a good teacher. Or at least I thought so. From this point on I plan on writing down things that I feel are important. Things that can help me as a teacher and future administrator. Right now all I have is my memory of what worked. Obviously I have forgotten some good material over the years. I plan on keeping track of the good things that I do as a teacher and also the things that I can improve upon. This will make me the best teacher possible! Hopefully I will be able to make sure that the kids are understanding all of the time and find the best practices.

I also plan on trying to talk with my coworkers about how this can help them also. Grumet said he didn't write everyday and his journal was small. I feel that if this can help any teacher at any point of their career. Even if they write only a few things a year. It is better than nothing and not reflecting upon yourself and your teaching.

In regards to the Pinar chapter, I found the most important aspect of what I read to be that each person bring something unique to the curriculum. When we are creating curriculum we must take all of people into mind. During the reading one quote that stuck out to me was, what is the purpose of the present? We need to make the children aware from step one what the purpose of what we are teaching them is and how these concept tie into what they will learn in the future. As a teacher everyday I tell the kids what they are learning and what the purpose of it is. However, I do not think the kids understand what they learned in the past and how it relates to what they will be learning in the future. Thinking about how I teach I feel I will now include how the kids will use what I am teaching them in future lessons and in the upcoming years. Pinar also talked about a lot of different ways of thinking. It is very important to realize that we do not all think the same way. As a teacher I must consider this before every lesson that I present. I must get to know my kids and understand their thinking process. If I am able to accomplish this it can help me ensure that I reach all of the children!

These readings were very beneficial and I feel this will help me as I go forward as a teacher and as an administrator. I also hope to help other teachers along the way by presenting some of them with these ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment